Agen (anc. Aqinnvm, or Agennum), the chief town of the department of Lot-et-Ga-ronne, France, on the right hank of the Garonne, 73 m. S. E. of Bordeaux; pop. in 1866, 18,222. The old quarter of the town is composed chiefly of narrow streets. The houses in the modern quarter are built on the slope of a hill adorned with trees and vineyards. Agen has been the see of a bishop since 347. Among the distinguished natives of the town were Sulpicius Severus, Lacepede, and the younger Sealiger, whose more eminent father Julius removed hither from Verona. The last representative of the troubadours, the poet Jasmin, was also a native and resident of Agen. It is famous for its prunes and its manufacture of serges.