Alexandrovsk, a town of Little Russia, on the left bank of the Dnieper, below its cataracts, in the government and 48 m. S. of Ye-katerinoslav; pop. in 1870, 4,001. It is the place of shipment by the Dnieper for the Black sea, though the trade might be much more active considering the excellent situation of the town. The district of Alexandrovsk formerly contained the lines of fortifications from the Dnieper to the sea of Azov, established in 1770 against the Tartars. The neighboring village of Stilja is noted for its extensive coal mines. Many settlements of foreigners, chiefly Germans, are in this district.