part of the province, bordering on Lakes Superior and Huron, and extending E. as far as the most westerly branch of the French river; pop. in 1871, 4,807. The W. and N. boundaries are undetermined, but the area is probably not less than 40,000 sq. m. The district is divided into East, West, and Centre. In the first are Killarney, Spanish River, and Mississaga; in the second, Bruce Mines and Sault Ste. Marie: in the third, Batchewaning, Michipocoter, Pic St. Ignace, Nipigon, and Kaministiqua. The chief productions are timber and minerals; but though its pine forests have been worked for 20 years, the mines, rich in copper, silver, iron, and tin, were, with a few exceptions, neglected till 1871, when a large number of Americans engaged in silver mining, and by the end of that year about 20 mines had been opened, generally with great promise of success. The Lake Superior part of the district is probably one of the richest mineral regions anywhere known. In 1847 numerous companies were formed to work the mines, but most of them failed, and some years ago the government cancelled many of the grants and resumed the land. This district is approached by steamboats, which ply regularly in summer.
Capital, Sault Ste. Marie.