Alnwick, the county town of Northumberland, England, on the river Alne, 30 m. N. of Newcastle; pop. about 8,000. It is well built, chiefly of stone, with broad, well paved streets, lighted with gas. It has a fine town hall, and a large square where weekly markets are held. The ancient castle of the same name, N. W. of the town, the residence of the duke of Northumberland, covers five acres of ground, and was restored in 1830 at an outlay of £200,-000. It is built of freestone, in the Gothic style, and is one of the finest old baronial residences in England. Alnwick castle formed one of the strongest bulwarks against the incursions of the Scots in ancient times, and was repeatedly besieged by them. Near its walls Malcolm III. of Scotland was slain in 1093, and his army routed; and in 1174 William the Lion was defeated here at the head of a large army, and taken captive.

Alnwick Castlo.

Alnwick Castlo.