Amberg, a town of Bavaria, formerly capital of the Upper Palatinate, on both sides of the Vils, 35 m. E. of Nuremberg; pop. in 1871, 11,688. It is a neat and well built town, with a great number of churches, schools, colleges, hospitals, and other public buildings, a royal palace, an arsenal manufacturing from 10,000 to 20,000 stand of arms yearly, a salt magazine, manufactures of glass, iron, cotton, tobacco, stoneware, and hats, and important iron mines, yielding about 8,000 tons yearly. In the neighborhood of Amberg the rear guard of the French under Jourdan was defeated by the archduke Charles, Aug. 24, 1796.