Amherst, a W. central county of Virginia, bounded S. E. and S. W. by the James river, and N. W. by the Blue Ridge; area, 418 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,900, of whom 6,704 were colored. It abounds in fine scenery, of which the passage of the James river through the Blue Ridge is specially noted. Its soil is fertile, and largely covered with forests and plantations. The productions in 1870 were 75,065 bushels of wheat, 160,655 of corn, 117,608 of oats, 1,285,471 lbs. of tobacco, and 109,773 of butter. The Virginia and Tennessee railroad passes through the county. Capital, Amherst Court House.