Amoy (Chin. Hia-men or Sya-min; Fr. Emouy), a seaport town of the province of Fokien, China, situated at the S. end of an island of the same name, in lat. 24° 40' N., lon. 118° 13' E., opposite the centre of the island of Formosa; pop. about 250,000. It is built upon rising ground, facing a very spacious and excellent harbor, contains many large buildings, had at the time of the British invasion several considerable forts, one of them 1,100 yards long, and is reckoned to be nearly 9 m. in circumference. It is the port of the large inland city of Chang-choo-foo, with which it has river communication. Its inhabitants are chiefly employed in trade, and its merchants are reckoned among the most enterprising in China. The port was open to the world till 1734, when it was closed. It was captured by the British in 1841, and by the treaty of Nanking was thrown open, first to Britain, then to all nations alike. The native merchants carry on an extensive trade coastwise, and with Formosa, Manila, Siam, and the Malay islands.
The foreign imports in 1870 were valued at $4,500,000, and the exports at $2,300,000. Amoy is a principal seat of Protestant missionary activity, and the missions of the Reformed church of America and other denominations in 1809 numbered 1,271 communicants.