Anspach (Ger. Ansbach, formerly Onolz-bach; Lat. Onoldum), a town of Bavaria, capital of the government of Middle Franconia, and formerly of the principality of Anspach-Baireuth, which gave the title of margrave to a branch of the house of Brandenburg. The town is situated at the junction of the Holz-bach with the Lower Rezat, in the government of Middle Franconia, 24 m. W. S. W. of Nuremberg; pop. in 1871, 12,635. It has a beautiful castle, a picture gallery, a library, manufactures of surgical instruments, cutlery, cotton, woollen, and silk stuffs, leather, earthenware, white lead, tobacco, cards, parchment, etc, and a trade in wool, flax, and grain. It owes its origin to the monastery of St. Gunibert, founded here in the 8th century. - The last margrave, Christian Frederick Charles Alexander, son of the duchess of Baireuth, the sister of Frederick the Great, and nephew of Queen Caroline, the wife of George II., was born in 1736 and died in 1806. He spent most of his life in travel and gallantry, married the celebrated Lady Craven (see next article), and left a name renowned in the scandalous chronicles of the continent.
In 1790 he sold his principality to Prussia for about $300,000.