Arid, a town of Hungary, capital of the county of the same name, on the right bank of the Maros, 19 m. N. of Temesvar; pop. in 1869, 32,725. It is the seat of a Greek bishop, and contains a gymnasium and Wallachian college. Considerable trade is carried on with Germany and the Black sea, chiefly in tobacco and cattle. Its annual fair is second only in importance to those of Pesth and Debreezin. In the 17th century the city was captured and destroyed by the Turks. It is skirted on two sides by the Maros, and defended by a fortress, which, held by the Austrians, capitulated only after a long siege to the Hungarian army in the revo-lutionary war of 1849. Three months later (Oct. 6), Arad witnessed the execution by the Austrian authorities of 13 Hungarian generate and colonels, who had surrendered with Gorgey at Vilagos (Aug. 13), or, following his example, a few days later. - On the opposite bank, and connected by a bridge, is New Arad (Hun. Uj Arad), in the county of Temes; pop. 4,900.