Henry William Paget Anglesey, first marquis of, and second earl of Uxbridge, a British general, born May 17, 1768, died April 29, 1854. He received his education at Westminster and at Christ Church, Oxford. In 1793 he raised a regiment of infantry at his own expense among his father's tenantry in Staffordshire, with which he served in the campaign in Flanders; and in 1799 he commanded a regiment of cavalry in Holland, and ultimately became the most distinguished cavalry officer in the service. In 1808 he joined Sir John Moore in Spain, as commander of the two cavalry brigades. He defeated the French at Mayaga, and repulsed their advanced guard at Benevente, where he took Gen. Lefebvre-Desnouettes prisoner, and covered Sir John Moore's celebrated retreat, which ended in the battle of Corunna, where a charge by him decided the fate of the day. Returning to England in 1809, he did not serve again till the battle of Waterloo, where he commanded the heavy cavalry, and headed the terrible British charge that annihilated the French cuirassiers. In this action he lost a leg.

He had inherited the earldom of Uxbridge in 1812, and on July 4, 1815, he was created marquis of Anglesey. At the coronation of George IV. he was lord high steward of England. In 1827 he became a member of Canning's cabinet as master general of the ord nance, and in 1828, under Wellington, lord lieutenant of Ireland. In these offices he was exceedingly popular from the impartiality of his administration, while his firmness secured him the respect of all. In December, 1828, in a letter to Archbishop Curtis, the Roman Catholic primate of Ireland, he expressed opinions so favorable to Catholic emancipation that his recall was determined upon, and he quitted Dublin Dec. 19, amid the regret of all classes. In 1830, under Earl Grey, he was restored to his post. The severe measures now employed against O'Connell's repeal agitation destroyed his former popularity in Ireland, and led to the overthrow of Earl Grey's ministry and his own. retirement in 1833. In 1846 he again became master general of the ordnance, and was made field marshal. He finally retired from office in 1852. He married in 1795 the daughter of the fourth earl of Jersey, from whom he was divorced in 1810, and soon afterward married Lady Cowley, daughter of the first earl of Ca-dogan, who had also just been divorced.

His former wife soon married the duke of Argyll.