Abbeyfeale, a market-town, 37 miles SW. of Limerick. Pop. 896.
Abbeyleix (Abbey-leece'), a town of Queen's County, 61 miles SW. of Dublin. Pop. 987.
Abbotsbury, a Dorset village, at the head of the Fleet tidal inlet, 8 miles NW. of Weymouth.
Aberavon, or Port Talbot, a seaport of Glamorganshire, on the Avon, near its mouth in Swansea Bay, 32 miles W. of Cardiff. The valley of the Avon is shut in by lofty hills, while every available space is occupied by tinplate, copper, and iron works. It is one of the 'swansea boroughs.' Pop. (1861) 2916; (1901) 7560.
Aberbrothock. See Arbroath.
Aberdare, a town of Glamorganshire, 4 miles SW. of Merthyr-Tydvil, and within its parliamentary boundary. Coal and iron are found in abundance in the vicinity, and Aberdare is a flourishing centre of iron and tin works. Pop. (1841) 6471; (1861) 32,299; (1901) 43,400.
Aberdour, (1) a Fife village, on the Firth of Forth, 3 miles W. of Burntisland, with a ruined castle of the Earls of Morton. Pop. 748. (2) An Aberdeenshire village, 8 miles W. by S. of Fraserburgh. Richard Chancellor was lost in Aberdour Bay (1556).
Aberdovey, a watering-place of Merionethshire, on the Dovey estuary, 10 miles N of Aberystwith.
Aberfeldy, a pleasant Perthshire village, near the Tay's south bank, 32 1/2 miles NW. of Perth by rail. The neighbouring Falls of Moness are celebrated in Burns's Birks of Aberfeldy. A monument (1887) commemorates the embodiment of the Black Watch here in 1740. Pop. 1569.
Aberfoyle, a Perthshire hamlet, immortalised through Scott's Rob Roy, 23 miles W. of Stirling by rail.
Abergavenny (Abergen'ny; Rom. Gobannium), a market-town of Monmouthshire, at the Gav-enny's influx to the Usk, 13 miles W. of Monmouth. It has remains of an old castle and of a priory, with collieries and ironworks near. Pop. of municipal borough (1901) 7800.