Agen (A-zhong), chief town of the French dep. of Lot-et-Garonne, on the right bank of the Garonne, 84 miles SE. of Bordeaux. It carries on an active trade in woollen and linen fabrics, leather, coloured paper, colours, cordage, and sailcloth; and is an important railway centre. Joseph Scaliger and the barber-poet Jasmin were natives. Pop. 18,500.
Agnano, till 1870 a small lake 3 miles west of Naples, about 60 feet in depth, and without visible outlet. As it caused malaria, it has been drained. On the right lies the Grotta del Cane (q.v.), and on the left are the sulphurous vapour-baths of San Germano.
Agram (Croatian Zagreb), capital of the Austrian province of Croatia and Slavonia, lies at the foot of a richly wooded range of mountains, 2 miles from the Save, and 142 NE. of Fiume by rail. The cathedral, dating partly from the 11th century, with new towers and an ornate western facade added in 1890-93, is one of the finest Gothic buildings in Austria. The manufactures include tobacco, leather, and linen. An earthquake in November 1880 destroyed most of the public buildings, and overthrew 200 houses. Agram possesses a university founded in 1874, with 40 lecturers and 400 students. Pop. (1890) 87,529; (1900) 57,800.
Agrigentum. See Girgenti.
Aguas Calientes, a town of Mexico, capital of a central state, with an area of 2900 sq. m., stands on a plain 6000 feet above sea-level, 270 miles NW. of the city of Mexico by rail. The environs abound in hot springs, hence the name. Pop. 32,500.
Agul'has, Cape, the most southern point of Africa, lies about 100 miles ESE. of the Cape of Good Hope, in lat. 34° 49' S., long. 20° 0' 40" E. In 1849, a lighthouse was erected on the point, which is very dangerous for ships. The Agulhas Bank, about 40 miles broad, extends along the whole southern coast of Africa, from near Natal to Saldanha Bay.