Albert Lea, a post-village in Freeborn county, Minnesota, on a lake of the same name, 100 miles S. of St Paul. It contains flour-mills, grain elevators, and machine-shops. Three railways centre here. Pop. 1966.
Albert-Edward Nyanza (Muta Nzige, Southern Luta Nzige), a lake of Equatorial Africa, discovered by Stanley in 1876, and again visited by him in 1889. It occupies the southern end of a vast natural depression, of which the Albert Nyanza fills the northern extremity; is due south of the mountain mass of Ruwenzori; and is surrounded by wide grassy plains, over which it once seems to have extended. It is 3307 feet above sea-level; and beyond the depression in which it lies is a tableland from 5500 to 6500 feet high. The water of the lake flows into the Albert Nyanza by the Semliki River.
Albert River, North Queensland, traverses a grassy plain, and flows 200 miles to the Gulf of Carpentaria, below Burketown. It is connected by a cross branch with another nearly parallel stream, the Gregory.
Albi, capital of the French dep. of Tarn, is built on a height near the Tarn, a tributary of the Garonne, 42 miles by rail NE. of Toulouse. It is very old, and suffered greatly during the persecutions of the Albigenses, who took their name from it. The chief buildings are the cathedral (1282-1512), the old fortress, and the archbishop's palace. Pop. 15,300.
Albuera (Albooai'ra), in the Spanish province of Estremadura, a hamlet, famous for Beresford's defeat of the French, May 16, 1811.
Al'bula, a pass (7595 feet; 3/4 mile long) and a mountain-stream in the Swiss canton of Grisons.
Albuquerque (Albookerkay), a town of Spain, 24 miles N. of Badajoz, near the Portuguese frontier. Pop. 7400.
Alcala' de Guadaira, a town of Spain, 9 miles E. by S. from Seville by rail, celebrated for producing the finest bread in Spain. Pop. 8991.
Alcala' de Henares, a town in Spain, Cer-vantes's birthplace, on the Henares, 21 miles E. of Madrid by rail. Its university, founded by Cardinal Ximenes in 1510, enjoyed a European fame, but was removed to Madrid in 1836, and the town is now not a shadow of its former self. Here was printed in 1517 the great Complutensian Bible, a monument of the piety and learning of the great cardinal. The chief buildings are the Colegio de San Ildefonso, the seat of the ancient university; its chapel containing the founder's tomb; the archbishop's palace; the cathedral; and the church of Santa Maria, in which, in 1547, Cervantes was baptised. Pop. 14,974. The Com-plutum of the Romans, the town owes its modern name to the Moors, under whom it was Al-Kalat, 'the castle.'