Alexandra Park, a place of public recreation for northern London, 6 miles N. of Charing Cross. It was opened in 1863, and its present 'palace' dates from 1873, its predecessor having been burnt two years before.
Alexandretta. See Scanderoon.
Alexandria, a town of Dumbartonshire, on the west bank of the Leven, opposite Bonhill, 3 miles N. of Dumbarton. It has grown from a mere ' clachan' to a thriving town, such growth being due to the neighbouring cotton-printing, bleaching, and Turkey-red dye-works, established since 1768. Pop. (1841) 3039; (1891) 7796.
Alexandria, a port of entry on the right or Virginian bank of the Potomac, U.S., 7 miles below Washington (on the opposite side of the river), and 100 from the entrance of the Potomac into Chesapeake Bay, whence the largest vessels may reach the port. There are cotton manufactures here. Pop. (1870) 13,570; (1890) 14,339; (1900)14,528.
Alexandropol (formerly Gumri), the largest town in the Erivan district of Russian Armenia, with a stronghold commanding the head-waters of the Euphrates. The silk trade is actively carried on. Pop. 30,477.
Alexandrovsk, a Russian town in the government of Ekaterinoslav, on the Dnieper. Pop. 16,500. - (2) A port in East Siberia, opposite Saghalien. - (3) A town in the province of the Don, 15 miles NNE. of Novo-Tcherkask. Pop. 16,250.
Alford, (1) a market-town of Lincolnshire, 23 miles NNE. of Boston; pop. of parish, 2843. - (2) A village of Aberdeenshire, 30 miles NW. of Aberdeen. Here Montrose defeated the Covenanters under Baillie, 2d July 1645. Pop. 635.
Alfoxton Park, in Somerset, 12 miles WNW. of Bridgwater, was Wordsworth's home in 1797-98.
Alfreton, a market-town of Derbyshire, 14 miles NNE. of Derby by rail. It has manufactures of hats, stockings, and brown earthenware, with neighbouring collieries and ironworks. Pop. of parish, 17,355.
Algarve, the smallest and most southerly of the provinces of Portugal. The name is Arabic, and means 'a land lying to the west.' It was a Moorish province till 1253. Area, 1873 sq. m.; pop. 254,037. The northern part of the province is occupied by a range of barren mountains of 4000 feet high, terminating in Cape St Vincent. The chief town is Faro.
Algeci'ras, or Aloeziras, a town of Spain, on the Bay of Gibraltar, 5 miles by water (9 by road) W. of Gibraltar. Its harbour is bad, but it possesses a good dock; and its oranges are famous, as well as its bull-fights. It was the first town in Spain taken by the Moors (711); in 1344 it was retaken by Alfonso XI. of Castile, after a twenty months' siege. He destroyed the old Moorish town; the modern one was built by Charles III. in 1760. Pop. 12,924.