Alhambra, a fortified suburb of Granada, which forms a sort of acropolis to the city, and in which stand the exquisite remains of the palace of the ancient Moorish kings of Granada. The name is a corruption of the Arabic Kal 'at al hamra, 'the red castle.' It is surrounded by a strong wall, more than a mile in circuit, and studded with towers. One of them contains the famous Hall of the Ambassadors. The remains of the Moorish palace are called by the Spaniards the Casa Real. It was begun by Ibn-1-ahmar (1248), and completed by his grandson, Mohammed III., about 1314. The portions still standing are ranged round two oblong courts, one called the Court of the Fishpond, the other the Court of the Lions. They consist of porticos, pillared halls, cool chambers, small gardens, fountains, mosaic pavements, etc. In the most beautiful room in the palace, the Hall of the Abencerrages, to the beauty of colour and of ornamentation is added an arcade resting on light and graceful marble arches that run round the place. A great part of the ancient palace was removed to make way for the palace begun by Charles V., but never finished. Since then it has suffered from the neglect and greed of successive governors; from the French, who blew up eight of its towers and tried to destroy the whole; and from earthquake. A partial restoration was made at the expense of Queen Isabella (1862); but much damage was done by fire in September 1890. See the works by Washington Irving (1832), Owen Jones (1848), and Murphy (new ed. 1856).