Allegheny, or Alleghany, one of the chief manufacturing cities of Pennsylvania, on the Alleghany River, opposite Pittsburgh. It is the terminus of important railway lines, and the site of the Western Penitentiary, a Presbyterian theological seminary, an observatory, the Carnegie Public Library, a park of 100 acres, a Catholic orphanage, and a college for coloured persons. The chief industries include rolling-mills for iron, cotton and woollen mills, breweries, foundries, a steel factory, blast-furnace, and locomotive works. It is a favourite place of residence for Pittsburgh business men. Pop. (1870) 53,180; (1880) 78,681; (1890) 105,287; (1900) 129,89(5.
Allen, Boo of, a series of morasses east of the Shannon, in King's County and Kildare, Ireland, comprising about 150,000 acres. Their average elevation is 250 feet above sea-level. Lough Allen, in Leitrim, is a lake on the upper course of the Shannon (q.v.), 8900 acres in area.
Allentown, a manufacturing town of Pennsylvania, U.S., on the Lehigh River, 60 miles MY. of Philadelphia by rail. The Lehigh Valley is rich in iron ore and anthracite coal, and has large blast-furnaces, ironworks, and rolling-mills; and there are manufactures of furniture and linen thread. Pop. (1860) 8025; (1880) 18,063; (1890) 25,228; (1900) 35,416.
Alleppi. See Aulapolai.
Allington, a Kentish parish, 1 1/2 mile NNW. of Maidstone. It was the birthplace of Sir Thomas Wyatt the poet.
Alloa, a seaport town in Clackmannanshire, on the left bank of the tidal Forth, 6 1/2 miles E. of Stirling, and 35 WNW. of Edinburgh. Among its buildings are the county court-house (1865), the handsome new town-hall (1888), the corn exchange (1862), and the parish church (1819); and its special feature is the Lime-tree Walk (1714), leading up from the harbour. It manufactures whisky, ale, woollen yarn, pottery, glass, iron, etc. There is some shipbuilding; and coals are exported from neighbouring pits. The harbour was improved in 1863. The Forth is here crossed by a railway viaduct (1885). Close by is Alloa House (1838), the seat of the Earl of Mar and Kellie, with Alloa Tower, 89 feet high, and built about 1223. Here Queen Mary spent part of her childhood, as also did James VI. and Prince Henry. Pop. (1841) 5443; (1901) 11,417.