Almondbury, to the SE. of Huddersfield, is practically a part of Huddersfield (q.v.).
Alnmouth, a little watering-place of Northumberland, at the mouth of the Alne, 6 miles ESE. of Alnwick. Pop. 593.
Alnwick (An'nick), the county town of Northumberland, on the Alne, 38 1/2 miles N. by W. of Newcastle by rail. It has a large central marketplace, a spacious town-hall, and a corn exchange of 1862. Alnwick was at an early period a fortified town, and one of its four gates remains, with fragments of the walls. At the north entrance of the town stands Alnwick Castle, the seat originally of the De Vescis, and since 1310 of the Percies of Northumberland. It has been sumptuously restored since 1854 in the Italian palazzo style, and is one of the most magnificent baronial structures in England. During the middle ages, it was a bulwark against the invasions of the Scots, and it was thrice besieged - by Malcolm Canmore, who here met his death; by David I., who captured it; and by William the Lion, who here was taken prisoner. Alnwick ceased in 1886 to enjoy certain prescriptive municipal usages it formerly possessed. Pop. 7500.
Alo'ra, a town of Spain, 23 miles NW. of Malaga by rail. Pop. 10,568.
Alost, or Aalst, a town in the Belgium province of Bast Flanders, on a navigable tributary of the Scheldt, 19 miles NW. of Brussels by rail. The church of St Martin, though unfinished, is one of the grandest in Belgium, with a famous painting by Rubens - 'st Roche beseeching our Saviour to stay the Plague of Alost,' and also the mausoleum of Marten, a native of Alost and Belgium's first printer (1473). Alost has also a 13th-century town-hall with a beautiful belfry, and a Jesuit college. Pop. 30,200.
Alpes, name of three deps. in France. That of Basses-Alpes occupies the NB. part of Provence, and is, for the most part, mountainous. The wines are excellent; the mines produce lead, green marble, etc. The dep. is watered by the Durance; its chief town is Digne. Area, 26S5 sq. m.; population, 115,000.
The Hautes-Alpes, lying north of the Basses-Alpes, and forming a part of the old province of Dauphine, is traversed by the chief range of the Cottian Alps, which here rise to 14,000 feet. The scenery, especially along the impetuous Durance, is singularly picturesque. Area, 2158 sq. m.; population, 109,000. The mines produce lead, copper, iron, and anthracite. Chief town, Gap.