Annap'olis, a seaport of Nova Scotia, on an arm of the Bay of Fundy, 95 miles W. of Halifax by rail. Established in 1604 by the French as the capital of their province of Acadia, under the name of Port Royal, it was ceded to Britain in 1713, and changed its name in honour of Queen Anne; not till 1750 was it superseded by Halifax. Pop. 1200.
Annapolis, the capital of Maryland, U.S., on the south bank of the Severn, 2 miles from its entrance into Chesapeake Bay, and 40 miles E. by N. of Washington by rail. Among its edifices are an imposing state-house, St John's College (1784), a Roman Catholic seminary, a naval hospital (1871), and a naval academy (1845). Founded as Providence in 1649, Annapolis was renamed after Queen Anne in 1708. Pop. (1870) 5744; (1890) 7604; (1900) 8525.
Ann Arbor, a flourishing city of Michigan, on the Huron River, 38 miles W. of Detroit by rail. Settled in 1824, and incorporated as a city in 1851, it is the seat of the state university (1837), and has manufactories of carriages, furniture, paper, woollen goods, blinds, and ploughs, with mineral springs and a hydropathic establishment. Pop. (1870) 7363; (1890) 9431; (1900) 14,509.
An'necy, chief town of the French dep. of Haute-Savoie, 22 miles S. of Geneva, and 25 miles NW. of Aix-les-Bains by rail. It stands at the NW. extremity of the Lake of Annecy, which, lying 1426 feet above the sea, is 9 miles long, and flows by the Fier to the Rhone. It has manufactures of linens, cotton-yarn, silks, straw goods, and steel wares. The castle of the Counts of Geneva is now a barrack; and there are a cathedral (1523) and hotel-de-ville, with a statue near it of the chemist Berthollet. Here Eugene Sue died in exile. Pop. 11,331.
Annobon, or Annobom, the smallest of the four islands in the Bay of Biafra, the eastern part of the Gulf of Guinea, now belonging to Spain. Area, 6 sq. m.; pop. 1600 negroes, who profess to be Catholics. The island was discovered by the Portuguese on New-Year's Day (Anno Bom), 1471.
Annonay (anc. Annoniacum), a town in the French dep. of Ardeche, 37 miles S. of Lyons. The chief manufacture is paper, the first established by the father of the aeronauts Montgolfier, who were born here. Pop. 14,000.
Annsborough, a village of County Down, 3 miles W. of Dundrum. Pop. 430.
Ansbach (in England often Anspach), a town of Bavaria, on the Rezat, 25 miles SW. of Nuremberg. It manufactures furniture, buttons, bricks, etc. The last margrave of Ansbach, of the Hohenzollern line, gave up his possessions in 1791 to Prussia; and in 1807 Napoleon transferred Ansbach to Bavaria. Pop. 18,057.
Ansonia, a borough within the town of Derby, New Haven county, Connecticut, on the Nauga-tuck River, 2 miles above its confluence with the Housatonic, and 12 W. of New Haven by rail. It has manufactures of iron, brass, and copper goods, clocks, electrical goods, webbing and knit goods, carriages, and hardware. Pop. 13,000.