Ardmore', a watering-place in County Water-ford, 7 miles ENE. of Youghal.
Ardnamurchan Point, a rugged headland of Argyllshire, the most westerly point of the mainland, with a castle-like lighthouse (1849).
Ardross'an, a seaport and watering-place in Ayrshire, 1 mile WNW. of Saltcoats, and 32 miles SW. of Glasgow by rail. It dates from 1806, and the harbour is one of the safest and most accessible on the west coast of Scotland. A new dock was formed in 1887-92. The chief exports are coal and pig-iron. On a hill above the town stands a fragment of Ardrossan Castle, said to have been surprised by Wallace. Pop. (1851) 2071; (1891) 5294; (1901) 5950.
Ardvreck Castle. See Assynt.
Ar'endal, a town of Norway, near the mouth of the Nidelf in the bay of Christiania. It is built partly on piles, partly on rock, and has been called 'Little Venice.' Its bay forms an excellent harbour. Pop. 11,15a.
Arequipa (Ar-e-kee'pa), a name given to a mountain in the west Cordillera of the Peruvian Andes, and then to a city at its foot, and to the southern dep. of Peru. The mountain, also called Mitsi, is volcanic, and has a height of 18,500 feet. Its neighbourhood is subject to earthquakes. The city, in a rich valley, 7700 feet above the sea, is the third largest in Peru, with 35,000 inhabitants. The dep. has an area of 27,744 sq. m., and a pop. of 260,282.
Arezzo (anc. Arretium), the chief city of an Italian province, near the confluence of the Chiana with the Arno, 38 miles ESE. of Florence. The Piazza Grande, built by Vasari, is remarkable; and the Gothic cathedral (begun 1277) has a splendid marble altar by Pisano. The city produces silk, and manufactures cloth, combs, and pottery. Natives were Petrarch, the poet Aretino, the painter Spinello Aretino; Guido of Arezzo, inventor of the musical scale; the botanist Cesalpino; Pope Julius III.; and Vasari. Pop. 15,816.