Argenteuil (Ar-zhong-tuh'yeei), a town in the French dep. of Seine-et-Oise, on the Seine, 6 m. NW. of Paris. Its ruined priory was founded in 656, and was by Charlemagne turned into a nunnery, of which Heloise became abbess. Pop. 15,799.
Ar'golis, the north-eastern peninsula of the Morea of Greece, lying between the Bays of Nauplia and Aegina. Together with Corinth, it forms one of the thirteen provinces of the kingdom of Greece, with an area of 1442 sq. m., and a pop. of 160,000. Its capital is Nauplia.
Argos'toli, a seaport of the Ionian Islands, the capital of Cephalonia, is the seat of a Greek bishop, and has a good harbour. It was almost destroyed by earthquake in 1867. Near it are the 'sea-mills of Argostoli,' two holes in the rocky coast, into which the sea pours with a force sufficient to drive two mills. Pop. 9871.
Argyrokastron (the Turkish Ergeri), a town of Albania, in the province of Janina, near the Dryno, an affluent of the Viosa. Pop. 9000.
Aria'no (Arianum), a cathedral city of Italy, 2S00 feet above the sea, and 84 miles NE. of Naples by rail. Pop. 17,522.
Ari'ca, a seaport of Tacna, the most southerly department of Peru. It was stormed and taken by the Chilians in 1880, was retained (with Tacna) by treaty for ten years, and was still in Chilian hands in 1905. Pop. (once 30,000) 4000.
Ariege, a dep. in the south of France, lying along the northern slopes of the Pyrenees. Area, 1890 sq. m.; pop. (decreasing) 200,000. - The river Ariege rises in the Pyrenees, and flows 93 miles to the Garonne near Toulouse.
Arkaig. See Archaic
Arkansas River, next to the Missouri the Mississippi's chief affluent, is 1514 miles long (800 navigable for steamers); rises in the Rocky Mountains, at an altitude of 10,000 feet, on the borders of Utah, and joins the ' Father of Waters' at Napoleon, 275 miles above New Orleans. Its chief tributary is the Canadian River.
Arkinholm. See Lanoholm.
Arklow, a seaport of Wicklow, 49 miles S. of Dublin, at the mouth of the lovely Avoca. There are ruins of the castle of the Ormonds, destroyed by Cromwell in 1649, and traces of an ancient monastery. Pop. 4000.