Arran, an island of Buteshire, in the mouth of the Firth of Clyde, 5 3/4 miles SW. of Bute, 10 W. of Ayrshire, and 3 E. of Kintyre, from which it is separated by Kilbrannan Sound. It is 19 miles long and 10 1/2 broad, with an area of 168 sq. m., about a seventh part being cultivated. Pop. (1821) 6541; (1901) 4819. The general aspect of Arran is mountainous and heathy, and in the north the jagged peaks are singularly grand. All around the coast is the low platform of an ancient sea-margin, with lofty cliffs on the S. and SW., from which the country rises abruptly. The highest point is Goatfell (Gaelic Gaoth Bheinn, 'wind mountain'), which rises 2866 feet. From its sides slope the romantic glens of Rosa and Sannox, and at its base to the SE. opens Brodick Bay. South of this, round a bluff headland, is Lamlash Bay, the chief harbour of Arran, and the best on the Firth of Clyde, sheltered by Holy Island, once the seat of a monastery. A picturesque mass of columnar basalt, 1030 feet high, succeeds. Farther south lies Whiting Bay, near which are two cascades 100 and 50 feet high. At the SE. point of Arran is Kildonan Castle, opposite which is the small isle of Pladda, crowned by a lighthouse. Large caverns occur in the cliffs of the S. and SW. coast. In one of these, the 'King's Cave,' in the basaltic promon tory of Drumadoon, Robert the Bruce hid himself. Shiskine Vale, opening into Drumadoon Bay, is the most fertile part of Arran. Loch Ranza, a bay in the north end of Arran, runs a mile inland, and is a herring-fishing rendezvous. There are only rivulets in Arran; one of them tumbles over a precipice 300 feet high. Almost the whole island belongs to the Duke of Hamilton, whose seat is Brodick Castle. Many antiquities occur, such as cairns, standing stones, and stone circles. Lochranza Castle, now in ruins, was once a residence of the Scots kings. See D. Landsborough's Arran (2d ed. 1875), and J. Bryce's Geology of Arran (4th ed. 1875).