Aschersleben (Asherslay'ben), a town of Prussian Saxony, on the Eine, 32 m. SW. of Magdeburg. Population, 28,500, largely occupied in manufactures of woollens, linens, sugar, etc.
As'coli (anc. Asculum Picenum), a city of Italy, on the Tronto, 83 miles S. of Ancona by rail. It has a fine cathedral, and it suffered much from an earthquake in 1878. Pop. 15,195. - Ascoli (anc. Asculum Apulum) is another episcopal city, 19 miles S. of Foggia. Pop. 6478. Pyrrhus here defeated the Romans, 279 b.c.
Ascot Heath, a circular race-course in Berkshire, nearly 2 miles long, 29 miles WSW. of London, and 6 SW. of Windsor. The races, which take place early in June, were instituted in 1711.
Ashbourne, a market-town of Derbyshire, 13 miles NW. of Derby. Its church (1241) has a spire 212 feet high ('the Pride of the Peak'); the grammar-school dates from 1585. Prince Charles Edward was here in 1745, and here Moore wrote great part of Lalla Rookh. Pop. 4040.
Ashburnbam, a Sussex parish, 5 miles W. of Battle, with the seat of the Earl of Ashburnham.
Ashburton, a small town in the south of Devonshire, on the borders of Dartmoor, 9 1/2 miles NNW. of Totnes by rail. Till 1868 it returned a member to parliament. Pop. of parish, 2662.
Ashburton River, an unnavigable stream of Western Australia, rising in the mountains west of the Great Desert, and flowing 400 miles northwestward into Exmouth Gulf. Its lower course was explored by Sholl in 1866, its upper by Giles in 1876.
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, a town of Leicestershire, 18 miles NW. of Leicester. It owes its suffix to the Norman family of La Zouch. Their ruined castle, celebrated in Scott's Ivanhoe, and rebuilt in 1480 by Sir William Hastings, crowns a height to the south of the town. Mary, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned here. Leather is the staple industry. Pop. 4750.
Ashdod (New Test. Azotus, now Esdud), a village on the Mediterranean, 21 miles S. of Jaffa. Once a chief city of the Philistines, it is now a miserable place with a pop. of 300.
Ashdown, the seat of Lord Craven, in West Berkshire, 3 1/4 miles NW. of Lambourn. Here, in 871, Ethelred and Alfred gained the great victory of Aescdun over the Danes.
Ashe, the Duke of Marlborough's birthplace, 3 miles SW. of Axminster, Devon.
Asheville, capital of Buncombe county, North Carolina, 70 miles by rail NW. of Spartanburg, with a number of tobacco factories. Pop. (1880) 2616; (1890) 10,235; (1900) 14,694.
Ashford, a market-town of Kent, 14 miles SW. of Canterbury, and 56 SE. of London. It is a railway junction, and the seat of the Southeastern Railway workshops. Eastwell Park lies 3 miles N. Pop. 13,500.
Ashiestiel, a Selkirkshire mansion, on the Tweed, 5 1/2 miles WSW. of Galashiels. Scott lived here 1804-12.
Ashingdon, a parish of South Essex, 2 1/4 miles N. of Rochford. Here, in the battle of Assan-dun (1016), the sixth fought in the year, Canute defeated Edmund Ironside.