Auch (Oash), capital of the French dep. of Gers, on the river Gers, 44 miles S. of Agen by rail. The Augusta Auscorum of the Romans, it is built on a hill, whose summit is crowned by the cathedral (1489-1662), rich in stained glass and carved woodwork. Pop. 9500.
Auchendrane, a seat 4 miles S. of Ayr, the scene of Scott's Ayrshire Tragedy.
Auchinblae, a Kincardineshire village, 5 1/2 miles NNE. of Lawrencekirk. Pop. 450.
Auchinleck, an Ayrshire village, 15 miles E. of Ayr by rail. Pop. 2168. The parish contains Auchinleck House (locally called ' Place Affleck'), the seat of the Boswells.
Auchmithie, a Forfarshire fishing-village, 3 1/2 miles NNE. of Arbroath. It is the ' Mussel-crag ' of Scott's Antiquary. Pop. 353.
Auchterarder, a Perthshire village, 14 1/2 miles SW. of Perth by rail. Pop. 2276, largely employed in the woollen manufacture. The opposition to the presentee to Auchterarder parish originated (1834) the struggle which ended in the formation of the Free Church in 1843.
Auchtergaven, a Perthshire parish, 7 1/2 miles N. by W. of Perth. The poet Robert Nicoll was a native.
Auchtermuchty, a Fife royal burgh, 10 1/4 miles WSW. of Cupar. Pop. 1387.
Auckland Islands, a group of islands about 180 miles to the south of New Zealand. The largest of them measures 30 miles by 15. It has two good harbours, and is covered with the richest vegetation. The Auckland Islands are valuable chiefly as a whaling station, but are not peopled. They were annexed by Great Britain in May 1886.
Aude (Oad), a maritime dep. in S. France, part formerly of Languedoc. Area, 243S sq. in.; population, 313,500. The southern part is occupied by spurs of the Pyrenees, attaining 4037 feet in the Pay de Bugarach; but the greater portion belongs to the valley of the lower Aude (130 miles), falling into the Mediterranean. The chief town is Carcassonne (q.v.).
Audh. See Oudh.
Audley End, Essex, l 1/2 mile S\V. of Saffron Walden, the seat of Lord Braybrooke.