Autun (O-tung; anc. Augustodunum), in the French dep. of Saone-et-Loire, in the Burgundian district of Autunois, on the river Arroux, 31 miles NW. of Chalon by rail. It has a fine cathedral (12th century), and many ruins of Roman temples, gates, triumphal arches, and other antiquities. Cloth, carpets, and velvet are manufactured. Talleyrand was bishop of the diocese, and here Macmahon was born. Pop. 13,593.
Auvergne, a southern central district of France, was before the Revolution a separate province, and coincided nearly with the modern departments of Cantal and Puy-de-D6me. Of several summits that have apparently been at one time volcanoes, the highest is Mont-Dore (6188 feet). Auvergne produces iron, lead, copper, and coal, and is rich in valuable mineral springs, both cold and hot. Many Auvergnats, speaking their own patois, seek employment in Paris and Belgiunn Auxerre (O-zerr'; anc. Autissiodorum), chief town of the French dep. of Yonne, on the Yonne, 109 miles SE. of Paris. Its noble Gothic cathedral dates from 1215, but was not completed till the 16th century. The principal manufactures are wine (a light Burgundy), candles, chemicals, and hosiery. Pop. 15,300.
Auxonne (O-zonn'), a fortified town in the French dep. of Cote d'Or, on the Saone, 20 miles SE. of Dijon. Pop. 5118.
Avallon (anc. Aballo), a town in the French dep. of Yonne, 26 miles SE. of Auxerre, on a steep hill of red granite, nearly surrounded by the river Cousin. Pop. 5571.
Avebury, or Abury, a village of Wiltshire, 6 1/2 miles W. of Marlborough. It is the site of the largest megalithic structure in Britain, including a large outer circle, 330 yards in diameter, and two smaller stone circles. The stones that remain are 5 to 20 feet in height above the ground, and 3 to 12 in breadth and thickness. From an entrance to the circle issued the ' Kennet Avenue,' running 1430 yards south-eastward in a perfectly straight line, and 17 yards broad, with a range of blocks on either side similar to those of the circle itself. Of surrounding antiquities may be mentioned a double circle on Hakpen Hill, and a large barrow, or lofty conical mound called Sil-bury Hill, 3/4 mile to the S. It measures 676 yards in circumference, and is 130 feet high.