Bajmok (Bye-mok), a village of Hungary, 16 miles SW. of Theresienstadt. Pop. 6661.
Bakarganj, a British district in the Dacca division of India, under the lieutenant-governor of Bengal, contains 3649 sq. m. Barisal, the headquarters, on the Barisal River, is the only town with over 5000 inhabitants. Bakarganj, the former capital, near the junction of the Krishnakati and Khairabad rivers, is now in ruins. Pop. 2,353,965.
Bakau (Ba-kow'), a Roumanian town on the river Bistrisza, 187 miles N. of Bucharest by rail. Pop. 15,000.
Bakchiserai (Turkish, 'Garden Palace'), a town in the Russian government of Taurida, the residence of the ancient princes or khans of the Crimea, 15 miles by rail SW. of the present capital, Simferopol. The palace (1519) of the khans has been restored by the Russian government in the oriental style. Pop. 15,377.
Bakel, a town with a strong fort, in the E. of the French colony of Senegal, on the Senegal River. Pop. 2600.
Bakony Forest, a densely wooded hill-country of Hungary, extending from Lake Balaton northward to the Danube. Immense herds of swine are annually driven hither to feed upon the mast.
Bala, a town of Merionethshire, North Wales, near the foot of Bala Lake, 12 miles SW. of Corwen by rail. Pop. 1622. Bala Lake measures 4 miles by 1 mile, and sends off the Dee from its foot. From Lake Vyrnwy (q.v.), 10 miles south, Liverpool draws its water-supply.
Balaghat' (' above the Ghats'), a large tract of elevated country in the south of India, extending from the rivers Toombudra and Krishna in the north to the farthest extremity of Mysore in the south. Also a British district in the Central Provinces. Pop. 330,554.
Balakla'va, a small Greek fishing-village with 700 inhabitants, in the Crimea, 8 miles SE. of Sebastopol. The landlocked harbour, which affords secure anchorage for the largest ships, till 1860 was a naval station. Balaklava is the Symbolon Limen of Strabo, and the Cembalo of the Genoese (1365-1475), who were expelled by the Turks, as these were in turn by the Russians. During 1854-56 it was the British headquarters, and the famous charge of the Six Hundred (25th October 1854) has made the name glorious as Thermopylae.