Bandong, a flourishing commercial town in the western end of Java, near the volcano Gunong Guntour. Since 1864 it has been the capital of a province, the Preanger Regencies.
Bangalore, a fortified town of Mysore, in a district of the same name, lies 3000 feet above sea-level, 216 miles W. of Madras by rail. When Mysore was occupied by Britain in 1831, Bangalore was made the administrative capital of the state; and when in 1881 Mysore was restored to its maharajah, the British cantonment of Bangalore was specially exempted. In 1791 it was stormed by Lord Cornwallis. Pop. (1871) 142,513; (1891) 180,366; (1901) 159,046.
Bangor-isco'ed ('Bangor below the Wood'), a Welsh village on the Dee, in a detached portion of Flintshire, 5 miles SE. of Wrexham. It was once the seat of one of the largest monasteries in Britain, founded before 180 a.d., and containing 2400 monks in the time of St Augustine. Pop. 554.
Bangweo'lo, or Bemba, a great Central African lake, discovered by Livingstone in 1868, which is 150 miles long by 75 in width, and 3700 feet above the sea. The Chambese, flowing into it, and the Luapula issuing from it, constitute the head-stream of the Congo. The shores are flat, and parts of the lake are mere marsh. On its south shore Livingstone died.
Banjermassin', a former sultanate on the SE. of Borneo, with an area of 5928 sq. m., and a pop. of about 300,000, chiefly Mohammedans. Tributary to Holland since 1787, it was annexed in 1857. - Banjermassin, the capital, is on the island of Tatas; pop. 30,000.
Banks Land, an island in the west of Arctic America, discovered by Parry in 1819, and explored by Maclure in 1850. There is also a Banks Island off the coast of British Columbia.
Bank'ura, a town, capital of a district in Bengal, on the Dhalkisor River. Pop. 19,000.
Bann, two rivers in the north-east of Ireland - the Upper Bann, flowing into, and the Lower Bann, out of Lough Neagh. The Upper Bann, rising in the Mourne Mountains, runs 25 miles NNW. through Down and Armagh. The Lower Bann flows 40 miles NNW., through Lough Beg, dividing the counties of Antrim and Londonderry. It runs past Coleraine, into the Atlantic Ocean, 4 miles SW. of Portrush. It has important salmon and eel fisheries.
Bannatyne, a Forfarshire seat, 7 1/2 miles NW. of Dundee.
Bannockbum, a Stirlingshire village of 2444 inhabitants, 3 miles SSE. of Stirling, on the Bannock Burn, a little affluent of the Forth. It is a seat of the woollen manufactures, especially of carpets and tartans. Here, on 24th June 1314, Robert Bruce, with 30,000 Scotch, gained a signal victory over Edward II., with 100,000 English. Not far off was fought the battle of Sauchieburn (q.v.). See R. White's Battle of Bannockbum (1871).