Barcelona, the second largest and the most important manufacturing city in Spain, is beautifully situated on the Mediterranean between the mouths of the Llobregat and the Besos, 228 miles E. of Saragossa and 439 ENE. of Madrid. The castle of Montjuich commands the town from the south, and the arsenals near by comprise infantry and cavalry barracks for 7000 men. Barcelona is divided into two parts - the old town and the new - by the Rambla (river-bed), which has been formed into a beautiful promenade. There is another fine promenade, the Muralla del Mar, or sea-wall. Barcelona has a cathedral (1298), a university (1430; rebuilt 1873) with 2500 students, a theatre (the scene in 1893 of an Anarchist bomb outrage), and manufactures of silk, woollens, cottons, lace, hats, firearms, hardware, etc. The imports are raw cotton, coffee, sugar, wheat, spirits, timber, salt-fish, hides, wax, iron, and coal; the exports fruits, vegetables, wines, silk, oil, and salt. Next to Cadiz, it is the chief port in Spain; in population it is next to Madrid. Pop. (1878) 249,106; (1900, after annexation of suburbs) 533,000.