Barfrush. See Balfrush.
Barholm, a ruined tower (Scott's' Ellangowan') on the coast of Kirkcudbrightshire, 5 3/4 miles SE. of Creetown.
Bari (Bah'ree), capital of an Italian province, on a peninsula in the Adriatic, 277 miles SE. of Ancona, with a brisk export trade, an old Norman castle, the church of San Nicola (1087), and the older archiepiscopal cathedral. Pop. 60,000.
Barking, a market-town of Essex, on the Roding, 7 miles NE. of London, with market-gardens and jute-factories. Its Benedictine abbey (founded 670), one of the richest convents in the kingdom, has left hardly a trace. Near Barking Creek is one of the great outfalls into the Thames of the (partially purified) London sewage. Pop. (1851) 5076; (1891) 14,301; (1901) 21,547.
Bar-le-Duc, capital of the French dep. of Meuse, 158 miles E. of Paris. It manufactures cottons, and has the ruined castle of the Dukes of Bar. Pop. 15,634.
Barletta, a seaport of Italy, on the Adriatic, 34 miles NW. of Bari by rail. Pop. 41,994.
Barmen, a busy town in the district of Dussel-dorf, Rhenish Prussia, extending in the beautiful valley of the Wupper for about 4 miles from close to Elberfeld almost to Langenfeld. It is the principal seat of the ribbon-manufacture on the Continent, and produces also cloth, stay-laces, thread, soap, candles, metal wares, buttons, machinery, and pianofortes. There are, besides, in the valley, numerous bleach-fields and Turkey-red dye-works. Barmen is a great missionary centre, and possesses the mission-house and seminary of foreign missions belonging to the Rhenish Missionary Society. Pop. (1871) 74,947;
(1890) 116,144; (1900) 141,950.
Barnard Castle, a market-town in the county of Durham, on the Tees, 15 miles W. of Darlington. On a rocky height are the ruins of a castle built in 1112-32 by Barnard Baliol. Near it is an art museum (1874). Pop. (1851) 4357;
(1891) 4341; (1901) 4421.