Barnet, a town of Hertfordshire, 11 miles NNW. of London. It has still large fairs. Here, on 14th April 1471, the Yorkists defeated the Lancastrians, killing their leader, Warwick, 'the king-maker.' An obelisk (1740) marks the spot. Pop. 7876.
Barnsley, a manufacturing town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the river Dearne, 10 miles S. of Wakefield, and 15 N. of Sheffield by rail. Standing high, in the midst of a rich mineral district, it has manufactures of linen, iron, steel, and glass, bleaching and dye works, etc. It was made a municipal borough in 1869. Pop. (1851) 13,437; (1891) 35,427; (1901) 41,083. Barnstable, a port of entry, with coasting and fishing trade, in Massachusetts, U.S., situated on the south side of Barnstable Bay, 65 miles SE. of Boston. Pop. 4342.
Bam'staple, a town of Devonshire, on the right bank of the tidal Taw, 6 miles from its mouth, and 40 NW. of Exeter by rail. Owing to the silting up of the river, much of the trade of Barnstaple has been transferred to Bideford. It has manufactures of lace and pottery. Athelstan built a castle here; and there are a 14th-century parish church, a town-hall (1855), an Albert memorial tower (1863), etc. Till 1885 Barnstaple returned two members. Pop. (1861) 10,743; (1891) 13,058; (1901) 14,137.
Baro'da, the second city of Guzerat, and third in the Presidency of Bombay, capital of the territory of the Guicowar (Gaekwar) of Baroda, is 248 miles N. of Bombay by rail. It stands to the east of the Viswamitri, and has several palaces and a considerable trade, occupying an important position between the coast and the interior. Population, 105,000. - The Mahratta state of Baroda, the political control of which in 1875 was transferred from Bombay to the government of India, includes the territories of the Guicowar in various parts of the province of Guzerat. Area of these territories, 8570 sq. m. (larger than Wales). Pop. 2,185,005.
Barossa. See Barrosa.
Barquisimeto (Bar-kee-see-may'to), a town of Venezuela, on an affluent of the Tocuyo, in a fertile and healthy plain, 1700 feet above sea-level. Founded in 1522, it was destroyed in 1812 by a dreadful earthquake. Pop. 38,476.
Barra, an island of Inverness-shire, near the southern extremity of the outer Hebrides, 42 miles W. of Ardnamurchan Point. It is 8 miles long, 2 to 5 broad, and 25 sq. m. in area. A low sandy isthmus, over which the sea nearly breaks at high water, connects the two parts into which Barra is divided. The south or larger part rises to 2000 feet. Pop. (1841) 1977; (1891) 2131; (1901) 2362, Gaelic-speaking, and largely Catholic, and among the most industrious of Scottish fishermen. A lighthouse (1833) on Barra Head is 680 feet above the sea. Kismull Castle was the ancient seat of the M'Neills, who in 1840 sold the island to Colonel Gordon of Cluny.
Barra, a pleasant suburban town, 3 miles E. of Naples; pop. 8464.