Batignolles, a northern suburb of Paris.
Batjan. See Moluccas.
Batley, a manufacturing town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 8 miles SW. of Leeds; since 1868 a municipal borough, associated for parliamentary purposes with Dewsbury, 1 mile distant. Batley is a chief seat of the shoddy and heavy woollen manufactures - army cloths, flushings, pilots, druggets, etc. It has a town-hall (1864-74), a free grammar-school (1612; reconstituted 1874), waterworks (1871-78), etc. Pop. (1851) 9308; (1871) 20,871; (1901, mun. borough) 30,321.
Batn-el-Hajar ('Womb of Rocks'), a stony district of Nubia, stretching along the Nile in the neighbourhood of the third cataract.
Baton Rouge, a city on the east bank of the Mississippi, 129 miles above New Orleans, from 1847 to 1862, and again since 1880, the capital of the state of Louisiana. It has a national arsenal and barracks, a military hospital, a deaf and dumb asylum, an elegant state-house, etc. Pop. 12,000.
Batoum', a town of Russian Transcaucasia, on the Black Sea, 201 miles W. of Tiflis, and 575 of Baku, by a railway (1883). The Berlin Congress of 1878, in sanctioning the cession of Batoum by Turkey to Russia, stipulated that it should not be made into a naval station; but the Russians have rendered it a second Sebastopol, and in 18S6 withdrew its privileges as a free port. The harbour is one of the best on the east coast of the Black Sea. Pop. 30,000, mostly Russians. Batoum was founded as Petra by one of Justinian's generals early in the 6th century a.d., and figures as Vati in the middle ages.
Batshian. See Moluccas.
Battersea, a SW. suburb of London, on the Surrey side of the Thames, here crossed by the Chelsea, Albert, and Battersea bridges. In the parish church (1777) is a monument to Lord Bolingbroke, who was born and died in a house close by. Battersea Park, 185 acres in area, was laid out in 1852-58 at a cost of £318,000. It is now one of the London metropolitan boroughs. Pop. (1901) 168,896. The parliamentary division returns one member.
Battle, a town in Sussex, 6 miles NW. of Hastings. An uninhabited heathland then, Senlac by name, it received its present name from the battle of Hastings, fought here on 14th October 1066, when William the Conqueror overthrew King Harold. To commemorate his victory, he founded in 1067, on the spot where Harold fell, a splendid Benedictine abbey. The so-called Battle Abbey Roll, generally assumed to have been a list of William's followers, but probably of Edward I.'s time or later, is supposed to have perished in the burning of Cow-dray House, near Midhurst, in 1793; and the ten copies of it extant have all been grossly tampered with. The abbey, two-thirds a ruin, was bought in 1857 by Lord Harry Vane, afterward Duke of Cleveland. Pop. 2996. See works by J. B. Burke (1848), Mackenzie Walcott (2d ed. 1867), and the Duchess of Cleveland (1889).