Bay Islands, a small group in the Bay of Honduras, 150 miles SE. of Balize. The cluster was proclaimed a British colony in 1852, but in 1859 was ceded to Honduras. The chief of the six islands is Roatan (30 by 9 miles; 900 feet high). Pop. 5000.
Bay of Islands, a safe and extensive harbour on the east coast of the northernmost portion of the North Island of New Zealand. It is 11 miles across, and nearly a hundred islands stud its surface. Russell, a considerable port, is on the south side of the bay.
Bayonne, a strongly fortified town in the French dep. of Basses-Pyrenees, at the confluence of the Adour and Nive, 4 miles from the Bay of Biscay, and 63 miles WNW. of Pan by rail. Population (declining), 23,000. Spanish in aspect, yet with a strong Basque admixture, it has a 13th-century cathedral, an inviolate citadel, one of Vauban's masterpieces; and manufactures of brandy, liquorice, chocolate, bottles, etc. Bayonne belonged to the duchy of Aqui-taine, then to Gascony, and to the English from 1152 to 1451. In 1814 it was besieged in vain by the British and Spanish allies.
Bayonne, a city of New Jersey, U.S., 6 miles SW. of New York by rail, on the narrow peninsula to the south of Jersey City, between New York and Newark Bays. It has a large coal-dock, and chemical and other works. Pop. (1880) 9372; (1890) 19,033; (1900) 32,722.
Bayreuth. See Baireuth.
Bayswater, a NW. suburb of London.
Bazardjik, a town of Bulgaria, 26 miles N. of Varna. Pop. 9545. - Tatar-Bazardjik, a town of Eastern Roumelia, on the Upper Maritza, 23 miles W. of Philippopolis by rail, with warm baths, and 15,659 inhabitants, having greatly increased since the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-78.
Bazeilles (Ba-zel'ye), a village in the French dep. of Ardennes, near the Meuse, 4 miles SSE. of Sedan. A pretty, well-to-do place, it was burnt to the ground by the Bavarians on the day of Sedan (1st Sept. 1870), but was rebuilt, in great measure with British contributions. Pop. 1391.
Beachy Head, the loftiest headland on the south coast of England, projecting into the English Channel, 3 1/2 miles SSW. of Eastbourne, Sussex. It consists of perpendicular chalk-cliffs, 575 feet high, forming the east end of the South Downs. The Belle Toute Lighthouse (1831), 2 1/2 miles to the west, is 285 feet above the sea, and is seen above 20 miles off. Off Beachy Head, a French fleet beat the combined English and Dutch fleets, 30th June 1690.
Beaconsfield, a quiet little market-town of Buckinghamshire, 10 miles N. of Windsor. It is noteworthy as the home and the burial-place of the poet Waller and of Edmund Burke, and as having given his earl's title to Benjamin Disraeli. Pop. 1750.
Beaminster, a Dorset market-town, on the Birt, 6 miles NNE. of Bridport. Pop. 2000.