Beyrout, or Beirut (Bay-root'; Old Test. Ber-othai or Berothah; anc. Berytus), a flourishing town, on the coast of Syria, and at the foot of Lebanon, 55 miles from Damascus, and 147 from Jerusalem. It is a great seaport and emporium of most of the trade with the shores of Syria, Palestine, and Cilicia, with a regular service of Egyptian, French, British, and other steamers. The roadstead is full of sand-banks, and large ships cannot approach within half a mile of the shore, but shelter is found during stormy weather in the Beyrout River, about 3 miles from the town. Commerce has trebled within the last fifty years. About half the total imports are from Great Britain. In 1859 a line of omnibuses was established here, and a French company completed in 1863 a good road to Damascus, and in 1895 a railway (across Lebanon) to Damascus was completed; in 1886 gas was introduced. Beyrout is an episcopal see of Greeks and Maronites, and has Catholic and Protestant missions, with an American college. Of 120,000 inhabitants only 30 per cent. are Mohammedans, and some 5000 are Europeans.