Bia'fra, Bight of, a large bay on the west coast of Africa, at the head of the Gulf of Guinea, between Capes Formosa and Lopez. The principal rivers flowing into it are the Niger (q.v.), the New and Old Calabar rivers, the Rio del Rey, the Cameroon, and the Gaboon; its islands are Fernando Po (Spanish), and St Thomas' and Prince's Islands (Portuguese). Opposite Fernando Po are the Cameroons (q.v.).
Blana. See Bayana.
Biarritz (Bee'ar-reets), a watering-place in the French dep. of Basses-Pyrenees, on the Bay of Biscay, 6 miles SW. of Bayonne. Here, in 1855, Louis Napoleon built the Villa Eugenie for the empress, who already, as Countess de Teba, had been a frequent visitor. During the season (July-September) the place is often visited by 6000 guests. There is a good golf course. Pop. 13,000.
Biberach (Bee'ber-ahh), a town of Wurtemberg, on the Reiss, 23 miles SSW. of Ulm. There are manufactures of machinery, artificial flowers, etc. Here the Austrians were defeated by Moreau in 1796, and in 1800 by Saint Cyr. Pop. 8938.
Biberich. See Biebrich.
Bicester (Bis'ter), a market-town of Oxfordshire, 12 miles NNE. of Oxford. There are manufactures of rope, clothing, sacking, and pale ale. The ruins of Alia Castra, or Alcester, lie l 1/2 mile to the south-west, on the ancient Roman Akeman Street. Pop. 3043.
Bicton Park, a Devonshire seat, 4 miles WSW. of Sidmouth, with splendid grounds.
Bidar (Bee'dar), a town in the Nizam's Dominions, near the right bank of the Manjera, a tributary of the Godavery, 75 miles NW. of Hyderabad. Pop. 13,000.
Biddeford, a town of Maine, U.S., on the right bank of the Saco River, 6 miles from its mouth in the Atlantic Ocean, and 93 miles NNE. of Boston by rail. It has manufactures of cotton and woollen goods and machinery, and there is a large trade in timber. Pop. 16,500.
Bid'eford, a 'little white seaport town' and municipal borough of North Devon, on the Tor-ridge, 3 1/2 miles above its confluence with the Taw's estuary, and 9 miles SW. of Barnstaple. The name signifies 'by-the-ford,' and is pronounced Bid-de-ford, like that of its American daughter. The old bridge of 24 arches and 226 yards long, which unites the two divisions of Bideford, was widened in 1864. There are manufactures of ropes, sails, earthenware, and leather. Vessels of 500 tons can get up to the quay. Sir Richard Grenville was a native. Population, 8750.