Biel. See Bienne.
Bielefeld (Bee'leh-felt), a town in the Prussian province of Westphalia, picturesquely situated on the little Lutter, at the foot of the Teutoburger-Wald, 28 miles SW. of Minden. It is the centre of the Westphalian linen-trade, and has extensive bleaching-grounds, manufactures of woollen thread, soap, leather, and its meerschaum pipes are celebrated. Pop. 65,000.
Bielo-oz'ero ('White Lake'), a lake in the government of Novgorod, Russia, 25 miles long, 20 broad, and 432 sq. m. in area. It discharges into the Volga. - Bielozersk. is an old wooden town on the south shore. Pop. 4286.
Bielo'pol, a town of Russia, 106 miles NW. of Kharkov, with brandy distilleries. Pop. 15,178.
Bielshohle, a stalactite cavern, 230 yards long, in the Harz Mountains, was discovered in 1672.
Bielsk', a town of Russia, 112 miles NE. of Warsaw. Pop. 9763.
Bienne (Bee-enn'; Ger. Biel), a town in the canton of Bern, 56 miles SW. of Basel by rail, beautifully situated at the base of the vine-clad Jura, and at the foot of the Lake of Bienne. Population, 22,500, engaged in the manufacture of watches, leather, cotton, etc. - The Lake of Bienne, lying 1424 feet above sea-level, and 252 feet deep, is 9 miles long by 3 broad. It receives the surplus waters of Lake Neuchatel by the Thiel, by which river it again discharges its own. Towards its head is the He St Pierre, to which Rousseau retired for two months in 1765.
Biggar, a town of Lanarkshire, 28 miles SW. of Edinburgh. The collegiate church was founded in 1545; of Boghall Castle, the seat of the Flemings, hardly a vestige remains. Dr John Brown, author of Rab and his Friends, was born here; and John Gladstones (1693-1756), great-grandsire of W. E. Gladstone, is buried in the churchyard. Pop. 1366. See Hunter's Biggar and the House of Fleming (2d ed. 1867).
Biggleswade, a market-town of Bedfordshire, 41 miles NW. of London by rail, with a great corn-market. Pop. of urban district, 5120.
Big Horn, a navigable river of the United States, and the largest affluent of the Yellowstone, rises near Fremont's Peak in the Rocky Mountains, in the NW. of Wyoming territory, and flows 350 miles north-eastward.