Blankenburg, (1) a town, 37 miles SSE. of Brunswick, on the borders of the Harz Mountains. Pop. 10,300. - (2) A watering-place in the Rudolstadt division of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, 25 miles S. by W. of Weimar. Pop. 2120.
Blan'tyre, or High Blantyre, a village of Lanarkshire, near the right bank of the Rotten Calder, 8 1/4 miles SE. of Glasgow by rail, in a coal and iron mining district. Pop., with Auchenwraith and Causewaystones, (1901) 2521. Low Blantyre, or Blantyre Works, 1 3/4 mile NE., has dyeworks, and a weaving factory where young David Livingstone, a native of the place, worked as a ' piecer;' here also are his memorial church and statue. Pop. 1505. - Also the name of a Scottish mission-station founded in 1876, to the south of Lake Nyassa, Central Africa. It is situated on the heights between the Upper Shire and Lake Shirwa, in a well-wooded district.
Blaye (anc. Blavla), a river-port in the French dep. of Gironde, 20 miles NNW. of Bordeaux. It lies on the right bank of the Gironde, here 2 1/2 miles broad, at the base of a rocky eminence crowned with Vauban's citadel (1652). Pop. 4157.
Bleneau. (Blay-no'), a village in the French dep. of Yonne, 29 miles WSW. of Auxerre. Here Turenne defeated Conde in 1652.
Blenheim (Ger. Blindheim), a village of Bavaria, 23 miles NNW. of Augsburg. It gives name to the great victory of Marlborough and Prince Eugene over the French and Bavarians, August 13, 1704. The battle, however, really took place at the neighbouring village of Hochstadt, and to the Germans is so known.
Blewfields. See Bluefields.