Bochum (Boh'hoom), a Prussian town, 35 m. NE. of Dusseldorf by rail. Besides great steel and iron works, it has manufactures of carpets, etc, with coal-mines near. Pop. 70,000.
Boden-See. See Constance, Lake of.
Bodmin, the county town of Cornwall, in the middle of the county, 30 miles NNW. of Plymouth. It arose out of a priory, founded in 936 or earlier; and till 1868 returned two members, then till 1885 one. Pop. 5500.
Bœotia, an ancient political division of Greece, now forming with Attica a province of the modern kingdom, with an area of 2472 sq. m., and a joint pop. of 314,000.
Boguslav, a town of Russia, 70 miles SSE. of Kieff. Pop. 9030.
Bois-de-Boulogne. See Boulogne.
Bois-le-Duc (Bwah-leli-Duk'; Dutch 's Hertogen-bosch, ' Duke's Forest'), a Dutch city, capital of N. Brabant, at the junction of the Dommel and the Aa, 28 miles SSE. of Utrecht by rail. Strongly fortified till 1876, it is the seat of a Catholic archbishop, and has a very fine cathedral (1312-1498), arsenal, etc. Iron-founding, book-printing, the making of beer, spirits, woollens, cigars, jewellery, linen-thread, ribbons, and cutlery are industries. Bois-le-Duc was founded in 1184 by Godfrey III., Duke of Brabant, in a wood, hence its name. Surrendered to the Dutch in 1629, in 1794 it was taken by the French, in 1814 by the Prussians. Pop. 35,000.
Bojador (Bo-ya-dor'), Cape, a headland on the west coast of Africa, in 26° 7' N. lat., 14° 29' W. long. The Portuguese doubled this cape in 1432.
Bojano (Bo-yah'no), an Italian cathedral city, 13 miles SW. of Campobasso. Pop. 3506.
Bolan' Pass, a narrow, precipitous gorge, ascending nearly 55 miles north-westward to the broad plateau of Dasht-i-Bidaulat, in Beluchistan, and lying pretty directly between Sind and Kandahar. Its entrance and its outlet are respectively 800 and 5800 feet above the sea, it thus having an average gradient of fully 90 feet to the mile. Down the pass pours a torrent, now at many points bridged by a good military road; and in 1885-86 a military railway was laid. In parts of it there are three rails, the central one being toothed to catch a cogwheel on the engine. The route is highly defensible, and is commanded by the fortress at Quetta (since 1877 British), 25 miles from the upper end. It is overhung by eminences attaining a height of 800 feet.