Borders, the tract of country lying immediately on both sides of the frontier line between England and Scotland, which runs diagonally northeast or south-west, between the head of the Solway Firth at the latter extremity, and a point a little north of the mouth of the Tweed at the other extremity; the counties touching upon this line being Cumberland and Northumberland on the English side, and Dumfries, Roxburgh, and Berwick on the Scottish side. The distance between the two extremities is nearly 70 miles as the crow flies; but, following the frontier line in its irregularities, about 110 miles. The line of division is for the most part a natural one. The middle portion, extending 35 miles, is formed by the high barrier of the Cheviot range. Leaving the Cheviots in the south-west, the line descends for nearly 22 miles by Kershope Burn, and the waters of the Liddel, Esk, and Sark, to the Sol-way Firth. From the north-east extremity of the Cheviots, the windings of the Tweed, for about 13 miles eastward, form the natural boundary. But at a point about 5 miles from the mouth of that river, the line strikes out semicircularly in a north-easterly direction, till it reaches the east coast a few miles north of the town of Berwick-on-Tweed; the space thus enclosed, embracing within it what are known as the 'Liberties' of that town, having been at one time regarded as neutral territory between the two kingdoms. On the western Border, near he Solway, was a corresponding tract of country laimed by both kingdoms, and hence called the Debateable Land.' For the history, traditions, minstrelsy, etc, of the Border country, see works Ridpath (1776), Scott (1803), Veitch (1878), and Groome (1887), with others upon the counties. Bordighera (Bordigay'ra), a winter-resort in the Italian Riviera, on a hill overlooking the Mediterranean, 7 miles WSW. of San Remo by rail. It as founded in 1470, but its modern progress dates from the opening of the Cornice road in 1823, and of railway communication. Pop. 4556.