Boyaca, a dep. of Colombia, touching Venezuela. Area, 33,351 sq. m.; pop. 650,000. Capital, Tunja, 6000 inhabitants.
Boyne, a river of Ireland, rises in the Bog of Allen, and flows 80 miles through Kildare, King's County, Meath, and Louth, past Trim, Navan, and Slane, and enters the Irish Sea 4 miles below Drogheda. It receives the Mattock and Black-water, and is navigable for vessels of 250 tons to Drogheda, for barges of 70 tons to Navan. In the battle of the Boyne, fought on its banks, 3 miles W. of Drogheda, on 1st July 1690, William III. defeated James II.
Bozen. See Botzen.
Bra, a town of North Italy, 31 miles SSE. of Turin by rail. Pop. 9856.
Brabant' was the name formerly given to an important province of the Low Countries, extending from the left bank of the Waal to the sources of the Dyle, and from the Maas and the plain of Limburg to the Lower Scheldt. After many changes, Brabant was made a part of the kingdom of Holland, at the Congress of Vienna; but since the revolution of 1830, the three provinces of Brabant have been divided as follows: North or Dutch Brabant, the Belgian province of Antwerp, and South Brabant, also Belgian.
Bradford-on-Avon (Sax. Bradanford, 'broad ford'), a town of Wiltshire, on the Avon, and on the Kennet and Avon Canal, 9 miles SB. of Bath. Formerly it was the seat of important woollen manufactures, and kerseymeres were first made here. The tiny church (38 feet long) of St Lawrence, built by St Aldhelm between 675 and 709, is the only perfect building of pre-Norman times now remaining in England. It had been used for two centuries as a school and dwelling-house, when in 1856 it was rescued from profanation. On the summit of Torr Hill are the ruins of a 14th-century chapel of the Virgin; and the town bridge retains its desecrated chapel. At Bradford, Cenwalh, king of the West Saxons, gained a great victory over the Welsh in 652. Pop. 4557.