Brading, a small but ancient town, once a parliamentary borough, in the Isle of Wight, 4 miles S. of Ryde by rail. In its churchyard is buried the 'Dairyman's Daughter;' and in 1880 the remains of a Roman villa, with a tesselated floor, were unearthed near the town. Pop. 1994.
Braemar', a Highland district occupying the south-west corner of Aberdeenshire (q.v.), in the heart of the Grampian Mountains, and traversed by the upper waters of the Dee. In the east part is Balmoral; and near its centre, 61 miles W. by S. from Aberdeen, is the small village of Castleton of Braemar, where in 1715 the Earl of Mar raised the Pretender's standard. Pop. 516.
Braga, the capital of the Portuguese province of Minho, 34 miles NE. of Oporto by rail. It has the palace of the primate of Portugal, a fine Gothic cathedral (12th century), and manufactures of linen, hats, cutlery, firearms, jewellery, etc. The Bracara Augusta of the Romans, it retains ruins of a temple, an amphitheatre, and an aqueduct. Near it is a celebrated place of pilgrimage. Pop. 24,755.
Braganca, two considerable towns in Brazil. - (1) A seaport, 100 miles NE. of Para, at the mouth of the Caite. Pop. of town and district, 6000. - (2) An inland city of 10,000 inhabitants, 50 miles NE. of Sao Paulo.
Braganza, or Braganca, capital of the Portuguese province Traz-os-Montes, on the Fervenca, 26 miles NW. of Miranda. It is the see of a bishop, and gives name to the ruling House of Braganza. Pop. 5495.
Brahui. See Beluchistan.
Braila, or Brahilov, a river-port of Roumania, on the left bank of the Danube, 10 miles above Galatz, and 142 NE. of Bucharest by rail. The seat of a Greek cathedral, it was a free port till 1883, has new docks (1886-92), and exports large quantities of corn and other products. Braila was burned by the Russians in 1711, and Gort-schakoff crossed here in 1854. Pop. 56,715.
Braine-le-Comte (Brain-le-Congt), a town of the Belgian province of Hainaut, on the Senne, 19 miles SSW. of Brussels. Pop. 8176.
Brambanan, a district of the province of Sura-karta, Java, rich in remains of Buddhist temples.
Brambletye House, a ruined Jacobean mansion, in Sussex, near East Grimstead.
Brampton, a very ancient town of Cumberland, 9 miles ENE. of Carlisle by rail, once a great centre of hand-loom weaving. The moot-hall is a magistrate's office. Near it is Lanercost Abbey (q.v.). Pop. of parish, 2790.