Breede (Bray'deh), a river in Cape Colony, flowing SE. to the Indian Ocean at St Sebastian's Bay, 60 miles NE. of Cape Agulhas. It is navigable for vessels drawing not more than 10 feet of water to a distance of 40 miles.
Bregenz (Bray-gentz; anc. Brigantium), a town of Austria, capital of the Vorarlberg, on the east shore of the Lake of Constance; it is the terminus of the Arlberg railway (from Innsbruck), with a great tunnel, opened 1884. Pop. 7736.
Breisach, Alt (Bri-sahh; anc. Mons Brisiacus), a town of Baden, situated on an isolated basalt hill (804 feet) on the right side of the Rhine, 14 miles W. of Freiburg. The minster is a 13th-century structure. Pop. 3506.
Breisgau (Brise'gow), a German district extending along the right bank of the Rhine, from the episcopal territory of Strasburg to Basel, embracing Freiburg and the southern Black Forest. Since 1810 it has been part of Baden.
Breitenfeld (Bri'tenfelt), a Saxon village, 5 miles N. of Leipzig. In the first of three battles here (17th September 1631), Gustavus Adolphus defeated the imperialists under Tilly; the second (2d November 1642) was also a victory of the Swedes over the imperial forces; and the third was one act of the great 'Battle of the Nations' at Leipzig, 16th October 1813.
Bremerhaven (Braymerhah'fen), the port of Bremen, on the Weser estuary, nearly 10 miles from the open sea, and 39 NNW. of Bremen. It was founded by Bremen in 1827, and rapidly became a thriving place. A second dock was opened in 1866, a third in 1874; and in 1888 a great port, with docks, was undertaken at Norden-ham, on the opposite bank. The Geeste separates it from Geestemunde (q. v.). The population has risen from 3500 in 1850 to over 21,000.
Brenner Pass, a pass (4588 feet) in the Central Tyrol Alps, on the road between Innsbruck and Botzen, connecting Germany with north-east Italy. Open at all seasons of the year, it is the lowest pass over the main chain of the Alps. In 1867 a railway through the pass was opened. The distance from Innsbruck to Botzen in a direct line is only 52 miles, but frequent windings extend the railway to 78 miles. It passes over numerous viaducts and bridges, and through twenty-seven tunnels, one of them 935 yards long.
Brenta (Medoacus Major), a river of North Italy, issuing from a small lake in the Tyrol, and flowing 120 miles southward and eastward to the Gulf of Venice at the haven of Brondolo.
Brentford, the county town of Middlesex, 10 miles W. of Paddington station, at the influx of the Brent to the Thames, which is crossed here by a bridge leading to Kew. Consisting chiefly of one long irregular street, it has gin-distilleries, a brewery, sawmills, a soap-work, the Grand Junction Water-works, etc. There are many market-gardens in the vicinity. Here Edmund Ironside defeated the Danes in 1016; in 1558 six martyrs were burned at the stake; and in 1642 Prince Rupert defeated the Parliamentarians. Pop. 15,500.