Bridgenorth. See Bridgnorth.
Bridge of Allan, a beautiful village on Allan Water, 3 miles N. of Stirling by tram. Sheltered by the Ochils, it owes its prosperity partly to the mineral saline wells of Airthrey, and partly to its delightful situation and mild climate. Pop. (1861) 1803; (1901) 3240.
Bridgeport, a city and port of entry of Connecticut, U.S., at the entrance of the Pequan-nock into an inlet of Long Island Sound. It is 53 miles SW. of Hartford, and 57 NE. of New York. It has a safe harbour for small vessels, a considerable coasting trade, several fine public parks, and a system of street railways. Golden Hill, commanding fine views of the sound and shore, is covered with good residences, many of the inhabitants belonging to New York. The manufactures are extensive, particularly of carriages, harness, machinery, metallic cartridges, and sewing-machines. Pop. (1870) 18,809; (1880) 27,643; (1890) 48,866; (1900) 70,996.
Bridgeton, a city and port of entry in New Jersey, U.S., on Cohansey Creek, 38 miles S. of Philadelphia. It has the West Jersey Academy, South Jersey Institute (1870), a public library, and manufactures of woollen goods, iron, leather, carriages, machinery, and canned fruits. Pop. 15,000.
Bridgetown, the capital of Barbadoes (q.v.), is situated on the west coast of the island along the north side of Carlisle Bay, which forms its roadstead. The inner harbour is protected by a breakwater known as the Mole Head. Founded in 1628, the town took the name Indian Bridge, and later its present appellation, from a rude aboriginal structure which spanned a neighbouring creek. It suffered much from fire in 1666, 1766, and 1845; in 1831 from a hurricane. A railway of 23 miles in length to the parish of St Andrew was completed in 1882. Population, about 35,000.
Bridgewater Canal, a canal in Lancashire and Cheshire, 42 miles long, uniting Worsley with Runcorn and Manchester. It was formed in 1762-72 by the Duke of Bridgewater and Brindley, and bought (1888) by the Manchester Ship Canal Company. It is carried over the Manchester Ship Canal at Barton-upon-Irwell (q.v.) by a great swing-bridge.
Bridlington, or Burlington, a town in the East Riding of Yorkshire, 6 miles SW. of Flam-borough Head, and 23 SSE. of Scarborough. An old-fashioned place, with narrow irregular streets, it is supposed to have been the site of a Roman station. An Augustinian priory of immense wealth, founded in Henry I.'s reign, is represented by the nave of its splendid church, mixed Early English and Perpendicular in style. On Bridlington Bay, 1 mile SE., is Bridlington Quay, the port of the town, which has risen into repute as a watering-place, with fine sands, a parade, ornamental gardens, a chalybeate mineral spring, and hot and cold baths. The bay has good anchorage, and the harbour is enclosed by stone piers. In 1643 Henrietta Maria landed here from Holland with arms and ammunition bought with the crown-jewels, when Bridlington was cannonaded for giving her refuge. In 1899 it became a municipality. Pop. 13,000.