Bridport, a municipal borough of Dorsetshire, at the confluence of the Asker and the Brit, 2 miles from the English Channel, and 16 1/2 W. of Dorchester by rail. It stands on an eminence surrounded by hills, and has a town-hall (1785), and a good cruciform parish church. Till 1867 Bridport returned two members to parliament; and till 1885, one. The chief manufactures are ropes and cordage (a ' Bridport dagger' was proverbial for a halter in Leland's day), besides twine, shoe-thread, fishing-nets, and sailcloth. Vessels of 250 tons can enter the harbour, which is l 1/2 mile below the town. The population is about 6000.
Brieg (Breeg), a town of Prussian Silesia, on the Oder, 27 miles SE. of Breslau by rail. The 13th-century church of St Nicholas has a splendid organ, and towers added in 1884-85. Brieg manufactures machinery, ironwares, sugar, leather, tobacco, etc. Pop. 25,000.
Briel (Breal), or Brielle, sometimes The Brill, a fortified seaport town of South Holland, situated on the north side of the island of Voorne, near the mouth of the Maas. Pop. 4562, chiefly pilots and fishermen. Briel may be considered as the nucleus of the Dutch republic, having been taken from the Spaniards in 1572. De Witt and Tromp were natives.
Brienne-le-Chateau (Bree-enn'-le-Shahto'), a town (pop. 1680) in the dep. of Aube, on the Aube, 35 miles ENE. of Troyes. At the military school here (suppressed in 1790) the great Napoleon spent five years. Here, too, he was defeated by the allies in January 1814.
Brienz (Bree-entz'), a Swiss town at the foot of the Bernese Alps, on the NE. shore of the lake of Brienz, 30 miles ESE. of Bern. Pop. 2758. - The lake, 8 3/4 miles long and 1 1/2 broad, is an expansion of the river Aar, and is believed to have been at one time united with Lake Thun. It lies 1857 feet above the sea, is 859 feet deep at one point, and is surrounded by lofty mountains. The Giessbach Cascades, a series of line falls, are accessible by a cable tramway.
Brignoles (Breen-yoll), a town in the French dep. of Var, 42 m. ESE. of Aix by rail. Pop. 4298.
Brihuega (Bree-way'ga), a town of New Castile, Spain, on the Tajuna, 20 miles ENE. of Guadalajara. Pop. 3700. Here, in 1710, the English general Stanhope was defeated by the Due de Vendome, and compelled to surrender.