Brindaban, or Bindraban, a town of the North-west Provinces, on the Jumna, 6 miles N. of Muttra. It is one of the holiest cities of the Hindus; and through the munificence of wealthy devotees there are a large number of costly temples and shrines. Here, as at Benares, the immediate margin of the river is occupied by flights of steps, or ghauts. Pop. 22,717.
Bristol Bay, an arm of Behring Sea, lying immediately to the north of the peninsula of Aliaska.
Bristol Channel, an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean, between South Wales on the north, and Devon and Somerset shires on the south; or it may be regarded as an extension of the estuary of the river Severn. It is about 80 miles long, and 5 to 43 miles broad; the depth ranging from 5 to 40 fathoms. It is the largest inlet or estuary in Britain, having a very irregular coast-line of 220 miles. The chief rivers which flow into it are the Towy, Taff, Usk, Wye, Severn, Avon, Axe, Parret, Taw, and Torridge. The tides in it rise to an extraordinary height - 35 to 47 feet. The chief bays and harbours are Caermarthen and Swansea Bays, Cardiff Roads, on the north, and Bideford or Barnstaple, Ilfracombe, Mine-head, Porlock, and Bridgwater, on the south.
Britannia Bridge. See Menai Strait.
Brittany (Fr. Bretagne; anc. Armorica), the great north-western peninsula of France, extending in triangular form into the sea, its base resting on Normandy, Maine, Anjou, and Poitou, its sides washed by the Channel and the Atlantic Ocean. In earlier times it formed, with the name of duchy, one of the provinces of France; now it forms the five deps. of Finistere, Cotes-du-Nord, Morbihan, Ille-et-Vilaine, and Loire-Inferieure, with a total area of 13,130 sq. m., and a population of 3,250,000, more than one-third of whom speak Breton, belonging to the Cymric or southern group of the Celtic languages.
Brixham, a seaport and watering-place of Devonshire, on Tor Bay, 25 miles S. of Exeter (32 1/2 by rail). It is an irregular place, sprinkled over three valleys and four hillsides; picturesque, and fishy as even few fishing-towns. There are iron-mines, limestone quarries, mineral-paint works, and a bone cave on Windmill Hill, discovered in 1858. William of Orange landed here, November 4, 1688. Population, above 8000.
Brixton is a district of London (SW.), in Lambeth parish.