Bromley, a market-town of Kent, on the Ravensbourne, 10 miles SE. of London. Long the residence of the bishops of Rochester, it has a church, with the grave of Dr Johnson's wife. Pop. 30,000.
Brompton is a district of London in the parish of Kensington, SW. Once specially a quarter for artists, it contains a fine consumption hospital and the Oratory.
Brom'sebro, a village and castle of Sweden, 27 miles S. of Kalmar.
Bromsgrove, a market-town of Worcestershire, in a richly wooded valley, near the small river Salwarp, 12 miles NNE. of Worcester. It has a grammar-school (1553; refounded 1693), and a line old church with a spire 189 feet high. The linen manufacture has been superseded by nail and button making. Pop. 8500.
Bromwich. See West Bromwich.
Bromyard, a market-town of Herefordshire, on the Frome, 14 miles NE. of Hereford. Pop. of parish, 1660.
Broni, a town of Northern Italy, with mineral springs, 11 miles SE. of Pavia. Pop. 5147.
Bron'te, a town of Sicily, at the western base of Mount Etna, 33 miles NW. of Catania. Nelson was created Duke of Bronte by the Neapolitan government in 1799. Pop. 19,427.
Brook Farm, an abortive community established in 1840 on Fourier's principles, 8 miles SW. of Boston, U.S.
Brookline, a suburban town 4 miles SW. of Boston, U.S., with numerous handsome villas and parks, and manufactories of philosophical instruments, etc. Pop. 25,000.
Broom, Loch. See Summer Isles.
Broomhall, the Earl of Elgin's seat, Fife, 2 1/2 miles S. by W. of Dunfermline.
Brora, a coast-village of Sutherland, at the mouth of the Brora River, 4 1/2 miles NE. of Golspie. Pop. 540.
Broseley, a Shropshire town, on the Severn, 15 miles SE. of Shrewsbury, now a ward division of the municipal borough of Wenlock.
Brou. See Bourg-en-Bresse.
Brough (Bruff), a Westmorland town, 5 miles NNE. of Kirkby Stephen. Pop. 656.
Brougham (Broom), a Westmorland parish, 2 miles SE. of Penrith, with the fine ruin of Brougham Castle, the seat of the Cliffords, and with Brougham Hall, the seat of Lord Brougham and Vaux.
Broughton-in-Furness, a market-town of Lancashire, at the head of the Dnddon estuary, 9 miles NW. of Ulverston. Pop. 1159.
Broughty-Ferry, a town of Forfarshire, on the Firth of Tay, 3 1/2 miles E. of Dundee. Many Dundee merchants occupy fine villas at Broughty-Ferry, which has all the amenities of a favourite watering-place. Its castle (1498) was held by the English 1547-50, and in 1860-61 was repaired as a Tay defence. Pop. (1861) 3513; (1901) 10,484.
Brown, Mount, in the Rocky Mountains, near the source of the Columbia River, and on the borders of British Columbia and Alberta, is not, as was thought, 16,000, but 9000 feet high.
Brownhills, a town of Staffordshire, 5 miles N. of Walsall. Pop. 15,703.