Bunker Hill, an elevation (112 feet) on the peninsula of Charlestown, now part of Boston, Massachusetts, connected by a ridge, 700 yards long, with Breed's Hill (75 feet). The two heights were the scene of the first hard-fought battle of the American Revolution (June 17, 1775), in which the Americans repulsed two attacks by General Gage's forces, and were dislodged only after reinforcements had been brought up, and their ammunition was spent. A granite obelisk, 221 feet high, marks the site of the redoubt.
Burano (Boo-rah'no), an island and town, 5 m. NE. of Venice. Its lace manufacture, once famous, has been revived. Pop. 8300.
Burdekin, a river of Queensland, draining the district of North Kennedy. It rises not far from the coast, and after an irregular course forms a delta emptying into Bowling Green and Upstart bays. It was discovered by Leichhardt in 1845, and explored by Dalrymple and Smith in 1859-60.
Burgdorf (Boorg-dorf; Fr. Berthoud), a Swiss town, 14 miles NE. of Bern by rail. In the old castle here Pestalozzi established his famous school (1798-1804). Pop. 8581.
Burghley House, 'by Stamford town,' in Northamptonshire, on the Welland, the splendid Renaissance mansion of the Marquis of Exeter, was commenced in 1575 by Lord Burghley, and has a noble park, carvings by Grinling Gibbons, and a great collection of pictures.
Burglen, a village in the Swiss canton of Uri, about a mile from Altorf, is the traditional birthplace of William Tell. The supposed site of his house is now occupied by a chapel (1522), on whose walls are represented scenes from his history. Pop. 1778.
Burgundy, till 1477 an independent principality of widely varying area in the east and south-east of what is now France, and later a French province (Fr. Bourgogne), which comprised the present departments of Ain, Cote-d'Or, Saone-et-Loire, and Yonne, with parts of adjoining deps. Among its towns were Dijon, Macon, Autun, Chalon-sur-Saone, and Bourg. The white and red wines of Burgundy have a great celebrity.