Burhanpur, a town of the Central Provinces, India, on the Tapti, 280 miles NE. of Bombay. The remains of buildings show that the town extended over an area of 5 sq. m. when under the Moguls. The city was taken by General Wellesley in 1803, but it was only in 1860 that Burhanpur came completely under control of the British government. The town contains a palace built by Akbar, and a mosque built by Aurungzebe. Pop. 33,017.
Burnham, a Somerset watering-place, on Bridgwater Bay, 7 1/2 miles N. of Bridgwater. Pop. 2897.
Burnham Beeches, in Bucks, near Maidenhead, and 25 miles W. of London, the remains of an ancient forest, purchased in 1879 by the London Corporation. See a work by Heath (1880).
Burnley, a thriving town of Lancashire, in a narrow vale on the banks of the Brun, near its influx to the Calder, 21 miles E. of Preston, and 27 N. of Manchester. Roman remains have been found, but it is a modern-looking place, a great seat of the woollen and then of the cotton manufacture, with a literary institute and exchange (1855), a market-hall (1868), the Victoria Hospital (1886), a grammar-school (temp. Edward VI.), and an ancient parish church, restored in 1856. It manufactures looms and other machinery, has cotton-mills, calico-printing works, iron and brass foundries, breweries, tanneries, and rope-works. There are collieries in the vicinity. Burnley was created a municipal borough in 1861 (the boundary being extended in 1889), a parliamentary borough (returning one member) in 1867, and a county borough in 1888. Pop. (1871) 44,320; (1891) 87,016; (1901) 97,050.
Burntisland, a seaport and watering-place of Fife, on the Firth of Forth, 5 miles N. of Granton by steam-ferry (1848). Backed by the Bin, 632 feet high, it has a quaint parish church (1594), and the old castle of Rossend, where Chastelard incurred his doom. The harbour has been much improved, and coal is shipped in large quantities. Burntisland is one of the four Kirkcaldy burghs. Pop. (1841) 1959; (1901) 4S46.
Burrard Inlet, a narrow inlet, 9 miles long, at the SW. corner of British Columbia, a little north of the mouth of the Fraser River. It forms one of the finest harbours on the Pacific coast, and has become of much importance by the opening of the Canada Pacific Railway, whose terminus is at Vancouver here.