Burray

Burray, an Orkney island, between Pomona and South Ronaldshay. Area, 4 sq. m.; pop. 671.

Burriana

Burriana, a Spanish town, 34 miles N. of Valencia. Pop. 10,179.

Burrow Head

Burrow Head, a promontory, 150 feet high, the SE. extremity of Wigtownshire.

Burscheid

Burscheid, a town of Prussia, on the Wupper, 20 miles SE. of Dusseldorf. Pop. 7828.

Burslem

Burslem, a town of Staffordshire, within the parliamentary borough of Hanley, 20 miles N. by W. of Stafford. It is known as the 'mother of the potteries,' the pottery manufacture having been established here about 1644. Porcelain and pottery of all kinds are produced on a large scale, as well as encaustic tiles. There is also a glass manufactory. A fine town-hall, Renaissance in style, with a lofty clock-tower, was erected in 1865. Burslem was the birthplace of Josiah Wedgwood (1730-95); and a Wedgwood Memorial Institute was opened in 1870 to serve as a school of art, free library, and museum. Burslem was made a municipal borough in 1878, the boundary being enlarged in 1891. Pop. (1851) 16,954; (1891) 32,000; (1901) 38,850.

Burtscheid

Burtscheid, a town of Rhenish Prussia, 1/2 mile from Aix-la-Chapelle, has manufactures of woollen cloths and cassimeres, and celebrated sulphur springs and baths, with a temperature of 106o to 155° F. Pop. 16,139.

Buru

Buru, or Boeroe, an island of the Malay Archipelago, in the residency of Amboyna, from which it lies 40 miles to the W. Marshy along the coast, and most of it densely wooded, it attains in one peak 10,320 feet. Area, 3360 sq. m.; pop. 40,000 to 50,000.

Busachino

Busachino. See Bisacquino.

Busaco

Busaco (Boo-sah'ko), a Portuguese ridge north of the river Mondego, 16 miles NNE. of Coinbra. Here, in 1810, Wellington repulsed Massena.

Busby

Busby, a town with cotton-mills and printworks, 7 miles S. of Glasgow. Pop. 1786.

Bushey

Bushey, a small village in the south of Hertfordshire, 1 1/2 mile S. of Walford. - Bushey Park, a royal park, close to Hampton Court, is in Middlesex, 14 miles SW. of London.

Bushire(Boo-sheer'; properly Abushehr, 'father of cities,' also written Bushahr), a principal port of Persia, on a sandy peninsula on the east shore of the Persian Gulf, in the province of Pars. The district is liable to be devastated by earthquakes and the simoom, and is deficient in water; but the situation is highly favourable for commerce. It is the land terminus of the Indo-European telegraph line, and a chief station of the British Indian Steam-navigation Company; and has a large trade both in imports and exports. Pop. 20,000.

Bushmills

Bushmills, an Antrim market-town, on the river Bush, 8 miles NE. of Coleraine. Pop. 979.

Busiu

Busiu, Buseo, Buzeo, or Buzau, a Roumanian town, in Wallachia, 60 miles NE. of Bucharest, with a cathedral and much trade. Pop. 23,000.

Bussanga

Bussanga. See Borgu.

Bussorah

Bussorah. See Basra.

Busto-Arsizio

Busto-Arsizio, a town of Italy, 20 miles NW. of Milan. Pop. 9891.