Byzantium. See Constantinople.
CABATUAN, a town in the island of Panay in the Philippines, province Iloilo. Pop. 18,000.
Cabes, or Khabs, a port of Tunis, at the head of its own gulf. Pop. 10,000. Cabinda, a small Portuguese territory on the west coast of Africa, north of the mouth of the Congo, and bounded on the E. by the Congo State. It was delimited in 1886. The capital, Cabinda, was formerly a noted slave port; pop. 8000.
Cabrach. See Buck of Cabrach.
Cabrera, one of the Balearic Isles (q.v.).
Cabul. See Kabul.
Caceres (Kah'the-rez), a province of Spain, in the north of Estremadura. Area, 8014 sq. m,; population, 355,000. - The capital. Caceres (anc. Castra CAecilia), 45 miles N. of Merida by rail, is famous for its bacon and sausages. Here the allied forces defeated the Duke of Berwick's rearguard, 7th April 1706. Pop. 16,749.
Cacongo, or Kakongo, a district of West Africa, immediately N. of the mouth of the Congo. Cabinda (q.v.) is part of it; the rest has been absorbed in the Congo Free State.
Cad'er Idris (' Chair of Idris,' a reputed giant), a picturesque mountain (2914 feet) in Merionethshire, Wales, 5 miles SW. of Dolgelly. It consists of an immense ridge of broken precipices, 10 miles long, and 1 to 3 miles broad.
Cadzow (Kad'yoo). See Hamilton.
Caerla'verock, a splendid ruined castle near the Nith's mouth, 7 miles SSE. of Dumfries. For over four centuries the seat of the Maxwells, earls of Nithsdale (1620-1716), and still owned by their representative, Lord Herries, it was captured by Edward I. in 1300. Robert Paterson, Scott's ' Old Mortality,' is buried in the churchyard. See Fraser's Book of Caerlaverock (1873).
Caer'leon ('castle of the legion;' Lat. Isca Silurum), a town of Monmouthshire, on the Usk, 2 1/2 miles NE. of Newport. It was very early the seat of a see - the only one, it seems, in all Wales - which was transferred to St David's in the 6th century. A Cistercian abbey existed here before the Reformation. Many Roman relics have been found; and there are also remains of an amphitheatre, measuring 222 by 192 feet, and known as King Arthur's Round Table. Pop. 1410. See Lee's Isca Silurum (1845).