Cambridgeshire, an inland eastern county of England, 48 miles long, 11 1/4 to 33 miles broad, and 821 sq. m. or 525,182 acres in area. As much as 92 per cent. of that area consists of arable land, meadow, and pasture, the rest being fens. The surface, except in the south, which is somewhat elevated and on the chalk formations, is flat and thinly wooded, with villages and churches here and there on slight elevations called ' eys' or islands. In a country less level the much-vaunted Gog-Magog Hills, 4 miles SE. of Cambridge, would escape observation. The northern portion of Cambridgeshire fonns part of the Bedford Level (q.v.). The chief of the sluggish rivers are the Ouse, which crosses the middle of the county from west to east, with its tributary the Cam; the Nene, which borders the county on the north; and the Lark. These are all navigable to a certain extent. The chief towns are Cambridge, Ely, Wisbeach, March, Thorney, Linton, Soham, Newmarket, and Roy-ston. Cambridgeshire returns three members to parliament, one for each of the Chesterton, Newmarket, and Wisbeach divisions. Pop. (1801) 89,346; (1841) 164,459; (1871) 186,906; (1901) 190,687. Of four great dykes or earthworks the chief is the Devil's Ditch, extending 7 miles south-eastward from Reach to Wood-Ditton. It is 18 feet high on the east side, and was certainly of pre-Roman workmanship, as it is cut through by Roman roads. See works by Holl (1882) and Babington (1883).