Cambusnethan. See Wishaw.
Camden, a city and port of entry of New Jersey, on the left bank of the Delaware River, opposite Philadelphia, with which it is connected by steam-ferries. It has shipyards and dry-docks, foundries, cotton and woollen mills, and manufactures of machinery, ironwares, paints, oilcloths, etc. Pop. (1880) 41,659; (1900) 75,935.
Camden Place, a Kentish seat, 2 miles ENE. of Bromley. Here lived and died the antiquary Camden.
Camden Town, a north suburb of London.
Camelford, a quaint little Cornish town, near the source of the Camel ('crooked brook'), 15 miles W. of Launceston. Within 3 miles of it is the traditionary scene of King Arthur's last battle; also near are the great slate-quarries of Delabole. 'Ossian' Macpherson was member for Camelford, which was disfranchised in 1832. Pop. of Lanteglos parish, 1370.
Cam'elon. See Falkirk.
Camerino (Kamayree'no; anc. Camerinum), a town of Central Italy, on a spur of the Apennines, 41 miles SW. of Ancona. It has an archiepiscopal cathedral occupying the site of a temple to Jupiter, and a university (1727). Pop. 12,000.
Campagna, a cathedral city of Italy, 13 miles E. of Salerno. Pop. 6896.
Campagna di Roma (Kampan'ya dee Rom'a), an undulating, mostly uncultivated plain of Italy, surrounding Rome, including the greatest part of ancient Latium, with a length of about 90 miles, and an extreme breadth inland, to the Alban and Sabine hills, of 40 miles. A broad strip of sandy plain skirts the Mediterranean, with a thick fringe of pines. The ground is almost entirely volcanic, the lakes being formed by craters of extinct volcanoes, and the broad Tiber winds across the plain between banks of tufa, of which the Seven Hills of Rome are composed. Of late some drainage has been attempted, and eucalyptus plantations have been made in the hope of reducing the malarious conditions.
Campania, anciently a province on the west coast of Italy, having Capua as its capital, and now subdivided into the provinces of Benevento, Naples, Salerno, Avellino, and Caserta. It was one of the most productive plains in the world.
Campbell Island, a lonely island to the south of New Zealand, in 52° 34' S. lat., and 169° 12' E. long. Though 1498 feet high, and only 85 sq. m. in area, it is yet valuable for its harbours. Discovered in 1810, it served as an observatory during the Transit of Venus in 1874.